Help for Transfer Students

Welcome to the Department of Child and Family Development in SDSU's College of Education! We are happy you have transferred to our campus and our department, and we're here to help you toward earning your degree and achieving professional success. Please read the information below to help you become acquainted with important services and information.


We highly recommend that all transfer students attend a 1-day orientation offered during the summer and winter. These orientations include an advising session which is helpful to our transfer students. Information on the orientations will be sent to students.

Undergraduate Advising

Students can meet with a CFD major advisor by scheduling an appointment on SDSU Navigate, or by emailing [email protected] 

Preparation for the Major

All students must complete a series of “Preparation for the Major” classes and earn at least a C in each class. Once this is done, students will move from the “pre-major” to the “major” and may begin taking upper division CFD classes. Many transfer students come to SDSU with these classes completed. If so, please visit a CFD undergraduate advisor prior to registration and they will complete the paperwork to move students from the “pre-major” to the “major.” Make sure to bring a copy of your Degree Audit Report to the meeting.

Helpful Resources

  • University Catalog: It is advised that transfer students read SDSU University Catalog. Most questions that students have are addressed in the catalog.
  • my.SDSU/Degree Audit Report: We also encourage students to check the my.SDSU online portal frequently. The Degree Audit Report is available through my.sdsu (see Degree Evaluation tile) and shows the classes students have taken, the classes students must take, etc. If you meet with a CFD undergraduate advisor during your first semester at SDSU, please bring a copy of your Degree Audit to your meeting.
  • SDSU Transfer Admissions Planner (TAP) is a helpful website for transfer students. SDSU TAP is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to SDSU.