Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the Department of Special Education and its programs.

You can complete all of the prerequisite courses as an undergraduate. Program admission occurs after completion of the Bachelor's degree.
Students apply by March 1st and are admitted in May for the following fall. Students can complete prerequisites in the spring or summer prior to entering the program.
It depends on the program sequence that you select. After prerequisites, there are 2 options:
  • 2 semesters with a heavy academic and practicum load beginning in fall semester.
  • 4 semesters with approximately 2 academic years beginning in fall semester.
No, but you can take prerequisite courses in the summer.
You cannot teach in the public schools in California without a teaching credential. If you are an international student or are seeking the Autism specialization with the embedded course work to be a Board Certified Behavior Analyst then you do not need a teaching credential.
Review this website. Review the University Catalog. Attend a Group Advising Meeting. Meet with a Faculty Advisor in your area of interest.
Most of the prerequisites are required for all credential programs, but you should decide which credential to pursue early in the prerequisite series.
Special Education credentials in California have 2 levels. Completion of a Preliminary credential program authorizes the holder to teach in the area of their training. The Clear Education Specialist Credential program provides advanced coursework as well as support from the employing district. It must be completed within 5 years of beginning the program.