The student teaching component of our program prepares teachers to effectively serve a diverse student population who come to school with a primary language other than English. To that end, the DLE single subject bilingual teacher preparation program includes:
- Knowledge of and incorporating appropriate Single Subject California Teaching Standards
- Knowledge of and incorporating Visual and Performing Arts Standards
- Knowledge of Parent Engagement Standards/ development of Parent Engagement Plan
- Knowledge of Special Education laws and accommodations
- Development as a Professional Educator by creating a Professional Portfolio
- Knowledge of assessment practices and developing rubrics
- Use of educational technology in instruction and classroom engagement
- Investigating classroom management researchers and theorists
- facilitating the learning process for students to become biliterate
- bringing student voices to the center of classroom discourse
- Course readings specific to essential student teaching themes
- Opportunities to build community within the cohort of teacher candidates
- Extensive experience with lesson planning with different focuses
- Opportunities to collaboratively plan and teach a lesson
- Teacher Performance Assessment (TPA)
- California Commission on Teaching Credentialing (CTC) requires all teacher candidates to successfully receive a passing score on a Teacher Performance Assessment. DLE uses the state approved CalTPA. You will be provided instruction through course work and seminar on the different requirements of Cycle 1 and Cycle 2 of CalTPA.
- DLE CalTPA advisors are available to individually discuss and support you in meeting
Timelines will be provided by your seminar instructor.
- A DLE coordinator oversees all the CalTPA information dissemination and updates.